Shock in children In essence, shock occurs when the tissues and organs of the body receive insufficient oxygen and nutrients to meet their metabolic needs. This can occur in several situations, some of which can be seen commonly in pediatrics.
Treating Shock At least one of your family members may well experience shock during his or her lifetime. Shock is extremely dangerous, and, unless it is recognized and treated, it can kill. This activity will help your family learn to recognize and treat shock.
Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock) In a severe allergic reaction (anaphylactic shock) the body's immune system responds to the presence of an allergen (foreign substance which triggers an immune reaction) by releasing histamine and other immune-related body chemicals. These immune chemicals produce skin symptoms (hives, swelling), as well as severe breathing problems (swelling in the throat, narrowing of the lower airways). They also produce a dramatic widening of the blood vessels, which results in a severe drop in blood pressure. Anaphylactic shock is a life-threatening medical emergency, and it usually occurs within minutes of exposure to an offending allergen.